Part 2: Setting up a Monthly Budget

>> Friday, September 25, 2009


I left you with some homework last week. To gather all the bills and income you have as well as writing down all the money you spend. Did you do it? If you did not-then work on it this week! If you did-awesome you can move on to step 2 in the process of making a budget.

I hope that you have gathered all your other expenses as well in your notebook.

This week we are focusing on your fixed expenses and flexible expenses. I have prepared a spreadsheet for you to enter your info into. This is on Google documents called Monthly Expenses. This is where your expenses from the past week go. You should be able to edit it and copy it into your own google documents account via gmail. If that doesn't work, let me know and I will try to help you another way.

1. Fixed Expenses: figure out from your list of expenses what is fixed. Rent, car insurance, cell phone bill, membership dues, etc. These are the items that don't change in amount due. Add these items up.

2. Flexible Expenses figure out from your expenses how much you spend weekly on flexible expenses: gas, groceries, clothes, eating out, entertainment etc. Tally up these expenses. You can then multiply this by four to get your monthly flexible expenses.

3. What is your monthly income after taxes? Include part time work if you earn that regularly a month.

4. Do your fixed expenses and flexible expenses cost more than your monthly income?

If your flexible/fixed expenses are more than your income, you need to work on cutting out some of your flexible expenses so that you have movement in your budget without drowning in further debt.

Next time we will put everything into a spreadsheet.

Remember to let me know if you are working along with the steps so that you are eligable for a giveaway. You must comment on the blog to be eligable.

4 comments:

Anonymous September 25, 2009 at 9:27 AM  

Will you address expenses that come due annually, such as insurance? In the past, I've divided them by twelve and put them into the monthly budget. But it does confuse me because it looks like I have more money in the bank than I should until WHAM, the bill comes due.

Anonymous September 26, 2009 at 3:16 PM  

I'm with you Alice! I've been wanting to do this for a long time, but didnt know where to start.
Is there any way that I can get the spreadsheet into excel format rather than google?

The Financial Nanny September 28, 2009 at 5:08 PM  

Caroline,
If you email me at thefinancialnanny AT Gmail dot com I can send it to you in excel. That is what I actually have it in.

Thanks for playing along! :)
Alice

The Financial Nanny September 28, 2009 at 5:12 PM  

Yes I will Jan. One thing I do is have them go into an ING account so they are collecting a little interest like 2% till I need to withdrawl the money.

Thanks for the question!

ShareThis

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Disclaimer & Privacy Policy

I am not a certified financial planner. Any posts or pages written within this blog is the opinion of myself and not to be taken as financial advice. Any actions by an individual driven by information within this property do so at their own risk. Always consult a professional before making financial decisions.

Your information will not be sold to any third parties.

Contact Me

The Financial Nanny
thefinancialnanny@gmail.com

  © Blogger templates Inspiration by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP